Child Relocation Attorneys on Long Island
Handling Relocation Cases throughout Nassau County
If you have physical custody of your child and want to relocate a significant distance away from the non-custodial parent, you will have to obtain permission to do so. Move-away or relocation cases can be extremely contentious, and emotions tend to run high. What is in one parent’s best interests might not be in the other’s.
At The Pickney Law Firm, we know how to prioritize the child’s best interests while helping our clients achieve their goals and resolve move-away disputes. We take the time to get to know our clients so that we can personalize our representation and implement an appropriate strategy to achieve their desired result.
Discuss your move-away case with our Long Island child relocation attorneys by calling (516) 565-5555.
How to Have a Relocation Request Approved
Family courts in New York carefully scrutinize any requests a custodial parent makes to relocate with their children. Their priority is to protect the best interests of any children involved. When determining whether to grant relocation, they will consider what is best for the children and prudently analyze the facts and circumstances of the situation.
Factors that the court considers include:
- Each parent’s reason for seeking to relocate or opposing the other parent’s relocation
- The relationship between the child and each parent
- How relocation would impact the present and future relationship between the child and the non-custodial parent
- How the move would affect the child’s relationship with extended family members
- How the move would affect the relationship between the parents and their ability to co-parent effectively
- How the custodial parent and the child’s lives could be affected financially and emotionally by the move
- How the move would affect the parenting time schedule and whether the non-custodial parent would still have adequate visitation time
In many cases, a custodial parent has a valid reason to relocate if they are remarrying or pursuing financial/career opportunities – though the relocation will still only be approved if it is believed to be beneficial to the child.
Retain The Pickney Law Firm
At The Pickney Law Firm, we have successfully helped custodial parents and their children relocate their residence out of New York. On behalf of non-custodial parents, we have successfully defeated relocation attempts by custodial parents, including preventing international relocation.
Whatever your situation may be, you can find a trusted and knowledgeable advocate at our firm. Our Long Island relocation attorneys are eager to assist with your case.
Christian helped guide me through a very difficult divorce. Now I have custody of my children.- Marc W., Esq.
When my sister needed a divorce attorney, there was only one person I called, Christian.- C.H., Esq.
When I needed a divorce lawyer for my own divorce in Nassau County, I hired Christian Pickney.- J. F., Esq.
Our clients come first. We represent other attorneys during their divorces because they trust us.
We have over 30 years of combined experience in handling complex divorces & family law matters.
We don't leave you in the dark. We pride ourselves on transparent communication at all times with our clients.
We have a strong reputation in this county with judges and other attorneys.